Birds offer opportunities to connect cultures, share ideas, and engage people in conservation– all critical to tackling environmental challenges that threaten birds and humans alike. This opportunity is perhaps greatest in agro-ecosystems, where sustaining both economic and ecosystem viability is a complex challenge. Rosalind’s work focuses on the grassland birds that live in these agricultural landscapes. Her current projects include research on population connectivity of migratory grassland birds, creating regional and international grassland bird conservation plans, and outreach to local landowners to ameliorate threats to grassland birds. Her projects range from the local to the hemispheric – from the hayfields of Vermont to the rice fields of South America. Rosalind also directed the 2003-2007 Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas and published the Second Atlas of the Breeding Birds of Vermont.
A co-founder of the Vermont Center for Ecostudies, Rosalind Renfrew created and directs the Grasslands Program. Rosalind holds an MS and PhD in Wildlife Ecology from the University of Wisconsin – Madison, but she circled back to Vermont, where she obtained her BS in Wildlife Biology at the University of Vermont. She is the proud mom of a beautiful boy who keeps her young.
Visit my ResearchGate page to download or request PDF reprints.
- Perlut, N. P. and R. Renfrew. 2017. Stopover on Galapagos During Autumn Migration of Bobolinks (Dolichonyx oryzivorus). Wilson Journal of Ornithology 128:935-938. DOI: 10.1676/15-195.1
- Levin, I. I., R. E. Colborn, D. Kim, N. G. Perlut, R. B. Renfrew and P. G. Parker. 2016. Local parasite lineage sharing in temperate grassland birds provides clues about potential origins of Galapagos avian Plasmodium. Ecology and Evolution. DOI: 10.1002/ece3.1894
- Renfrew, R., A.M. Strong, N.G. Perlut, S.G. Martin and T.A. Gavin. 2015. Bobolink (Dolichonyx oryzivorus), The Birds of North America Online (A. Poole, Ed.). Ithaca: Cornell Lab of Ornithology; Birds of North America Online: http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/176
- van der Hoek, Yntze, A. M. Wilson, R. Renfrew, J. Walsh, P. G. Rodewald, J. Baldy, and L. L. Manne. 2015. Regional variability in extinction thresholds for forest birds in the north-eastern United States: an examination of potential drivers using long-term breeding bird atlas datasets. Diversity and Distributions DOI: 10.1111/ddi.12327 (Abstract)
- Levin, I.I., P. Zwiers, S. L. Deem, E. A. Geest, J. M. Higashiguchi, T. A. Iezhova, G. Jim´enez-ucz´ategui, D. H. Kim, J. P. Morton, N. G. Perlut, R. B. Renfrew, E. H. R. Sari, G. Valkiunas, andP. G. Parker. 2013. Multiple lineages of avian malaria parasites (Plasmodium) in the Galapagos Islands and evidence for arrival via migratory birds. Conservation Biology. DOI: 10.1111/cobi.12127
- Jahn, A.E., V. R. Cueto, J. W. Fox, M. S. Husak, D. H. Kim, D.V. Landoll, J. Pinto Ledezma, H. K. LePage, D. J. Levey, M. T. Murphy, R. B. Renfrew. 2013. Migration timing and wintering areas of three species of flycatchers (Tyrannus) breeding in the Great Plains of North America. Auk 130:247-257.
- van der Hoek, Y., R. Renfrew, and L.L. Manne. 2013. Assessing regional and interspecific variation in threshold responses of forest breeding birds through broad scale analyses. PLoS ONE 8:e55996. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0055996
- Renfrew, R. B., D. Kim, N. Perlut, J. Fox, J. Smith, and P. P. Marra. 2013. Phenological matching across hemispheres in a long-distance migratory bird. Diversity and Distributions 19:1008-1019.
- Renfrew, R. B., ed. 2013. The Second Atlas of Breeding Birds of Vermont. University Press of New England, Hanover, NH. 548 pp.
- Renfrew, R. B., S. J. K. Frey, and J. Klavins. 2011. Phenology and sequence of the complete prealternate molt of Bobolinks in South America. Journal of Field Ornithology 82:101-113.
- K. C. Parsons, P. Mineau, and R. B. Renfrew. 2010. Effects of pesticide use in rice fields on birds. Waterbirds 33(sp1):193-218.
- Ribic, C. A., R. R. Koford, J. R. Herkert, D. H. Johnson, N. D. Niemuth, D. E. Naugle, K. K. Bakker, D. W. Sample, and R. B. Renfrew. 2009. Area sensitivity in North American grassland birds: patterns and processes. Auk 126:233-244.
- Renfrew, R. B., D. H. Johnson, G. Lingle, and D. Robinson. 2008. Avian response to meadow restoration in the central Great Plains. Proc. North American Prairie Conference 20:313-324.
- Renfrew, R. and C.A. Ribic. 2008. Multi-scale models of grassland passerine density in a fragmented system in Wisconsin. Landscape Ecology 23:181-193. Table 3 (omitted in published article)
- Renfrew, R., and A. M. Saavedra 2007. Ecology and conservation of Bobolinks in rice production regions of Bolivia. Ornitologia Neotropical 18:61-73.
- Renfrew, R. 2007. An interspecific foraging association between Nearctic-Neotropical Migrant Passerines in Bolivia. Wilson Journal of Ornithology 119:124-126.
- Renfrew, R., C.A. Ribic, and J.L. Nack. 2005. Edge avoidance by nesting grassland birds: a futile strategy in a fragmented landscape. Auk 122:618-636.
- Renfrew, R. and C.A. Ribic. 2003. Grassland passerine nest predators near edges based on video footage. Auk 120:371-383.
- Renfrew, R. and C.A. Ribic. 2002. Influence of topography on density of grassland passerines in Wisconsin pastures. American Midland Naturalist 147:315-325.
- Ribic, C.A., D.W. Sample, and R. Renfrew. 2002. Linking landscape management with the conservation of grassland birds in Wisconsin. In: Bissonette, J.A. And I. Storch, eds. Landscape ecology and resource management: linking theory with practice. Island Press, Washington, D.C.
- Renfrew, R. and C.A. Ribic. 2001. Grassland birds associated with agricultural riparian areas in southwestern Wisconsin. Journal of Range Management 54:546-552.
- Renfrew, R. 2002. Savannah Sparrow (Passerculus sandwichensis). In: Cutright, N., B. Harriman, and R. Howe, eds., Wisconsin Breeding Bird Atlas. University of Wisconsin Press, Madison.
- Renfrew, R. 2002. Eastern Meadowlark (Sturnella magna). In: Cutright, N., B. Harriman, and R. Howe, eds., Wisconsin Breeding Bird Atlas. University of Wisconsin Press, Madison.
- Renfrew, R. and D.W. Sample. 2002. Bobolink (Dolichonyx oryzivorus). In: Cutright, N., B. Harriman, and R. Howe, eds., Wisconsin Breeding Bird Atlas. University of Wisconsin Press, Madison.
- Sample, D.W. and R. Renfrew. 2002. Grasshopper Sparrow (Ammodramus savannarum). In: Cutright, N., B. Harriman, and R. Howe, eds., Wisconsin Breeding Bird Atlas. University of Wisconsin Press, Madison.