VCE biologists Kent McFarland, Sara Zahendra and Steve Faccio ventured into the woods on a blustery day to see a porcupine den that was big enough for a human to fit in – but not someplace you’d want to venture! Porcupines are armed with 30,000 sharp quills that, as Kent demonstrates, are hard to pull out. Join them on their prickly adventure.
Listen to the show
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT Porcupines
- The Vermont Fish & Wildlife Department fact page.
- View a map of porcupine sightings reporting to iNaturalist Vermont, a project of the Vermont Atlas of Life, and report your own sightings.
- Read an essay about porcupines from Northern Woodlands.
- Hear what a porcupine call sounds like from Lang Elliot Music Of Nature.
- The Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History Field Guide.
IMAGES FROM THE SHOW
Outdoor Radio is a monthly feature produced in collaboration with Vermont Public Radio with support from the Jack and Dorothy Byrne Foundation. The program is produced by Vermont Public Radio chief audio engineer Chris Albertine.